- Dish type
- Main course
- Stew and casserole
Really cheap, really easy and all ingredients can be found in your cupboard. Perfect winter warmer and always goes down well with the fella.
47 people made this
- 500ml gravy (add extra if you want)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 8 sausages
- frozen peas to taste
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:5hr ›Ready in:5hr15min
- Make the gravy and add to the slow cooker. Add in the onion, seasonings, wholegrain mustard and peas.
- Lightly fry the sausages and add to the slow cooker.
- Leave on a low heat for at least 5 hours. I've left this over night and it's been lovely. Try what method suits you.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(2)
Reviews in English (2)
Very nice, simple recipe.Doubled everything to serve 8. Used garlic instead of Italian seasoning and took the red wine advice in the other review (200ml, and 800ml Gravy). I thickened it up towards the end of cooking with some corn flour.Went down very well, and will likely do it again.-24 Jan 2013
Tweaked this a bit by adding 2 garlic cloves, a couple of bay leaves and changing the gravy to 400 ml gravy and 100 ml red wine. Served with mashed potato-08 Jan 2013
Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole
This slow cooker sausage casserole recipe is one of my all-time favourites. There’s something SO comforting about a sausage casserole, especially when it’s able to slow cook and be ready for you once you get home!
Loved by the whole family, this sausage casserole is flavoured with thyme, paprika, tomatoes and garlic. A rich base of carrots, onion and peppers make the dish feel light, whilst being rich and comforting, too.
I love to serve this recipe with crusty bread and creamy mashed potatoes. You can freeze any leftovers you have, or keep them in the fridge for up to 2 days.
How to make sausage casserole in the slow cooker
Scroll down for full ingredient list and recipe card
1. Peel the carrot and onion. Then slice the carrot, onion and peppers into bite-sized pieces.
2. Add oil to a large, non-stick pan
3. Add in the onions and carrots
4. Cook until the onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes – stirring often
5. Then transfer to your slow cooker pan
6. To the same pan you cooked the onions and carrots in, add in the sausages. You want to brown the sausages on each side – which usually takes 2 mins a side. Make sure to brown them as much as you like as they won’t get any browner once transferred to the slow cooker.
7. Once browned, crush in the garlic gloves
8. Then add in the sugar, salt, thyme, paprika, tomato puree and chicken stock cube
9. Pour in the tinned tomatoes, and 100ml of water. 100ml of water is one quarter (1/4) of the tin, so I tend to just use the tin to measure this out
11. Then transfer to the slow cooker, and add in the earlier chopped peppers
12. Turn the slow cooker to high for 3 hours, or low for 6 – then serve!
Easy Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole Recipe
- 8 sausages
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups (750 ml) beef stock
Grease a large frying pan with nonstick cooking oil. Add sausages and cook until golden brown.
Remove browned meat from frying pan and cut into thick slices.
Add the butter, onion, and garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1 minute.
Stir in the plain flour. Cook for further 2 minutes.
Slow stir in the beef stock and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and transfer mixture to the slow cooker.
Close cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 4-6 hours.
Turn off the slow cooker and open the lid. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Transfer sausage and vegetables to serving plates. Serve immediately.
Slow Cooker Bratwurst Sausage Casserole Recipe
- 2 pounds (960 g) whole baby potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus some extra
- 1 pound (480 g) bratwurst sausages
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 yellow banana pepper, sliced
- 1 pound green beans
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add sausages and brown on all sides. Remove browned sausages from the skillet, transfer to a cutting board and slices into chunks.
Place whole baby potatoes in 4-quart (4 L) slow cooker. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Toss well. Add browned sausages, then top with sliced onion and banana pepper. Add sliced green beans and pour in chicken broth.
Cover slow cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 8-10 hours or until potatoes are tender.
Turn off the slow cooker and open the lid. Stir in chopped fresh parsley. Transfer sausage mixture to serving plates. Serve hot.
Step by step instructions
2. Chop the vegetables and place them in the slow cooker pot.
3. Add the tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, stock, herbs and mix gently.
4. Place the browned sausages on top, then put on the lid and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
5. Thicken with cornflour if needed, an hour from the end of cooking. When ready, serve with mash or pasta for a warming autumn or winter dish. Green vegetables work really well on the side.
The sauce is full of flavour and ideal for dipping bread into!
Slow cooker sausage casserole with red onions
An easy sausage casserole recipe that can be made in the slow cooker.
Slow cooker casseroles are the ultimate easy dinner, and adding sausages makes them fuss-free. The meat is seasoned to perfection, and you don&rsquot need to do any chopping or prepping beyond a little frying.
Which sausages are best for a casserole?
Ones which are full of filler ingredients like rusk will go mushy in the casserole &ndash the more meat, the better they will hold together. Choose sausages with a high percentage of meat &ndash at least 75% or higher.
Using flavoured sausages can also be really beneficial and add extra interest &ndash try pork and apple, Cumberland or a robust Toulouse.
What&rsquos the best way to brown sausages?
Most sausages will release some fat as they cook, so you don&rsquot need to use a lot of oil &ndash just heat a 1/2tbsp of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the sausages and don&rsquot shake the pan or move the sausages for a few min. This will allow them to brown properly and release from the pan without tearing. Once you&rsquove given them a few minutes, use tongs to gently turn them over and brown on the other side in the same manner. Remember &ndash if you keep moving the sausages, they won&rsquot get a chance to turn golden.
If you find the sausages roll too much and don&rsquot stay where you want them, arrange them in the pan so they touch together and keep each other in place.
Don&rsquot turn the heat too high or the pan will smoke unnecessarily &ndash keep it on a medium heat.
How to make a slow cooker casserole more flavoursome
Slow cooker recipes need a fair amount of liquid to help everything cook evenly, so they often have a very diluted flavour. We&rsquove added some pickle into the recipe to give depth and round everything out. The pickle has the perfect balance of salt, sugar and acid &ndash a little sprinkle of culinary magic &ndash that will add more notes to an otherwise monotonous melody. Other sticky condiments would work too &ndash anything that is sweet and sour, such as an onion marmalade, or even Chinese Plum sauce are worth experimenting with, or correspond it to whatever flavour of sausage you&rsquove picked. If you&rsquore using a chorizo style sausage, a blob of quince membrillo would pair beautifully.
Our sausage casserole is really hearty and best served with a good mash and green veggies.
How to Make "Slow Cooker Sausage Breakfast Casserole"
20 Portobello Mushroom Recipes
The portobello mushroom is one of the most popular varieties of mushrooms in the world. Known as natural cancer-fighters and providing numerous health benefits, so portobellos are a tasty addition to your diet. Whether you are going low-carb, want to partake in Meatless Monday, or are on a plant-based diet, portobellos will become a staple [&hellip]
21 Easy Grilling Recipes
Father’s Day is just around the corner. Are you looking to do something special for dad this year? Why not take over the grilling duty and prepare an outstanding meal. From the main course to dessert, any of these 21 easy grilling recipes will make a dynamite dinner for dad.
22 Cheers-Worthy Summer Cocktails
Get your shakers, blenders, and ice-makers ready! These cheers-worthy summer cocktails are the refreshing drink you need to beat the heat. No matter your drink of choice, we have a tasty adult beverage that’s sure to have you reaching for your cocktail glasses. Margaritas, mojitos, mint juleps, and a plethora of cocktails that don’t start [&hellip]
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound bacon
- 4 (16.9 ounce) packages frozen pierogies
- 3 tablespoons butter
Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in the cabbage and onion. Cook and stir until the cabbage is tender, about 20 minutes.
Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Cut the bacon into bite-sized pieces set aside.
Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the pierogies and return to a boil. Cook until the pierogies float to the top, about 5 minutes drain.
Place the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter into a slow cooker. Gently combine the pierogies, cabbage, and bacon and place into the slow cooker. Cook on Low for 3 hours before serving.
Slow Cooker Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Warm your house with the smell of delicious breakfast! Enjoy Jimmy Dean® Original Sausage Crumbles, eggs and cheese, slow-cooked to perfection.
1 package (26-32 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup (2 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese
½ cup julienne-cut sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained
6 green onions, sliced
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Spray a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Layer ½ of the potatoes on the bottom of slow cooker.
Top with half of the sausage, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, sun dried tomatoes and green onion. Repeat layering.
Beat eggs, milk salt and pepper in large bowl with a wire whisk until well blended.
Pour evenly over potato-sausage mixture.
Cook on LOW setting for 8 hours or on HIGH setting for 4 hours or until eggs are set.